1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
4 large eggs
2 cups whole milk
Substitution notes:
No sweetened condensed milk? Use regular milk and sugar. No whole milk? Use 2% milk.
Let's Make Baked Custard (Step-by-Step)
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a baking dish.
Step 2: Mix the Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and milk until smooth.
Step 3: Pour and Bake
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Place the dish in a larger baking pan and fill the larger pan with hot water to create a water bath.
Step 4: Bake
Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the custard is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Cool and Serve
Let the custard cool slightly before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips for the Best Custard
Use a water bath. This prevents cracking.
Don't overbake. Overbaking can make it dry.
Use room temperature eggs. They mix more smoothly.
Strain the mixture. This removes any lumps.
Let it cool slowly. This prevents cracking.
Store properly. It stays fresh for days.
Variations to Make It Your Own
With Vanilla: Add vanilla extract.
With Nutmeg: Sprinkle with nutmeg.
With Berries: Serve with fresh berries.
With Caramel: Drizzle with caramel sauce.
With Chocolate: Add chocolate chips.
With a Crust: Serve with a cookie crust.
What to Serve With Custard
Whipped cream
Vanilla ice cream
Fresh berries
A cup of coffee or tea
A glass of milk
How to Store and Reheat
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or in a water bath.
Freezer: It freezes well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of milk?
Yes, you can use 2% or skim milk.
Can I make it without a water bath?
Yes, but it may crack.
How do I know when it's done?
A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
Can I add flavorings?
Yes, you can add vanilla or other flavorings.
Can I serve it cold?
Yes, it's delicious cold.
A Final Thought
When I make this custard, I feel like I'm serving a simple, comforting dessert. It's the perfect way to end a meal.
Have you ever made baked custard? Share your tips in the comments. 🍮🥛
