Oh, my dear friend, I must confess: the first time I heard about sleeping with a bay leaf tucked under my pillow, I thought it was a bit kooky. Why on earth would anyone do that?
As a physician who completed my residency many decades ago, my first instinct was always to look for the clinical data, the double-blind studies, the hard science. But at 87, and having lived on my own in my cozy farmhouse for the past eight years, I have learned to deeply appreciate the intersection of ancient tradition and the profound, mysterious power of the human mind.
So, I put the kettle on, brewed a soothing cup of my favorite chamomile tea, and looked into the gentle science and rich history behind this quiet, beautiful practice.
The Tradition: A Quiet Ritual for Restful Sleep
The tradition of placing a bay leaf under your pillow is an old one, with roots in various folk practices around the world. It is often associated with the belief that it can:
Promote Vivid or Prophetic Dreams: In some folklore, bay leaves are said to enhance dream recall and encourage meaningful dreams.
Provide Calming Energy: The gentle, herbaceous aroma is thought to promote a peaceful state of mind, making it easier to drift off to sleep.
Offer Protection: In some cultures, bay leaves are believed to ward off negative energies and protect the sleeper.
The practice is simple: take a dried bay leaf, hold it gently in your hands, set a quiet intention for your sleep, and place it under your pillow.

