The Real Deal on Covering Your Sink Before Vacation



A Practical, Science-Backed Travel Tip for Peace of Mind


Oh, my dear friend, I see this travel tip circulating all the time, and I always have to smile. The idea of taping up or covering your kitchen sink before leaving for a trip sounds a bit like an old wives' tale, doesn't it? But as it turns out, there is a very practical, scientific reason behind it!

At 73, living out here in my cozy farmhouse, I’ve learned that the best vacations are the ones where you can truly disconnect and relax, knowing your home is safe and secure. Between keeping a watchful eye on my circulation, monitoring those sudden, unexplained purple blotches on my arms, and doing everything I can to keep my daily routines peaceful, I know one thing for certain: worrying about your home while you’re away is the absolute last thing your body needs.

So, I put the kettle on, brewed a soothing cup of my favorite chamomile tea, and looked into the actual "plumbing science" behind this popular vacation hack.


The Simple Reason: It's All About the P-Trap

The secret to this tip lies in a small but mighty part of your plumbing: the P-trap. That's the curved pipe you see under your sink. Its shape is designed to hold water, which forms a seal. This water seal acts as a barrier, preventing sewer gases and odors from coming back up through the drain and into your home .

When you're away for an extended period, the water in this P-trap can slowly evaporate. Without that water barrier, there's nothing stopping smelly, potentially unhealthy sewer gases from entering your kitchen. This is where the cover comes in—it acts as a simple, effective "plug" to prevent that evaporation and keep your home's air fresh.


How It Actually Works