Waking Up to a "Charley Horse"? Why Nighttime Leg Cramps Happen (And the Soothing Bedtime Elixir That Actually Helps)


 


Subtitle: Picture this: It's 2:00 AM. You're in a deep, peaceful sleep, and suddenly—BAM. A sharp, seizing pain grips your calf. You jolt awake, clutching your leg, trying to stretch it out while your heart races.

Let me tell you about the first time I had a charley horse.

I was in my late twenties, and I woke up in the middle of the night with a searing pain in my calf. It felt like my muscle was being ripped apart. I couldn't move. I was terrified.

I didn't know what was happening. I thought it was a blood clot. I was worried about my circulation.

But then I learned about charley horses.

What Is a Charley Horse?

A sudden muscle cramp. It's a sudden, involuntary muscle contraction.

Intense pain. It can be very painful.

A brief episode. It usually lasts a few minutes.

Common at night. They are most common at night.

A common occurrence. They are common in older adults.

Usually harmless. They are usually harmless.

What Causes Nighttime Leg Cramps?

1. Dehydration