I Thought This Was a Worm in My Yard—Then I Saw Its Strange Hammer-Shaped Head


 


Early this morning, I stepped outside to get some fresh air and came across something I couldn't quite explain.

At first, I thought it was just a worm.

There was a little damp soil, some grass nearby, and a long, dark creature slowly making its way across the ground. Nothing about the scene seemed particularly unusual.

Until I looked closer.

The creature wasn't moving like an ordinary earthworm.

It seemed to glide across the surface instead of wriggling through the soil. Its body was long and flattened, and then I noticed the strangest part of all.

Its head.

It looked broad and almost shovel-shaped.

That's when I stopped walking and started watching.

I had no idea what I was looking at.

And honestly, I'm glad I didn't try to pick it up.

After taking a photograph and doing some research with reliable nature references, I discovered that the mysterious creature was most likely a hammerhead worm, a type of terrestrial flatworm.

And once I learned what these strange little predators actually do, I understood why it looked so different from the earthworms I was used to seeing.

So, What Exactly Is a Hammerhead Worm?

Despite the name, a hammerhead worm isn't an earthworm at all.

It's a type of land planarian, or terrestrial flatworm.

Several species are commonly referred to as hammerhead worms because of their distinctive expanded heads.

That unusual head shape is one of the easiest clues that you're looking at something very different from a typical garden earthworm.

Unlike segmented earthworms, land planarians have a flattened body and move by gliding across a thin layer of mucus using a specialized underside known as a creeping sole.

And once you know that, the strange movement suddenly makes sense.

That smooth, almost effortless motion I noticed wasn't my imagination.

It really was moving differently from an earthworm.

The Head Is the Big Clue

If you've never seen one before, the head can be startling.

Instead of the rounded front end you'd expect on an earthworm, hammerhead worms have a noticeably widened head.

Depending on the species, the head can look almost like: