I really didn't think I'd end up dealing with an invasive insect that day.
It was hot—the kind of hot where you step outside and immediately wonder why you bothered.
I was wearing the same pair of shorts I always seem to regret putting on, the ones with the slightly crooked zipper, and I had gone outside to water the maple tree.
Because apparently I'm that person now.
And then I saw it.
A strange-looking bug sitting on the tree.
At first glance, it was almost pretty.
Gray wings. Tiny dark spots. An unusual shape.
Then it fluttered.
And suddenly there was a flash of bright red underneath its wings.
It looked like some kind of tiny magic trick.
I got closer.
I took a picture.
Then I started searching.
And that's when the whole situation went from "Oh, that's an interesting bug" to "Wait a minute. Is this one of those invasive insects everyone keeps talking about?"
The insect I was looking at sounded very much like the spotted lanternfly, an invasive plant-feeding insect originally from Asia that has spread to parts of North America.
Its gray, black-spotted wings make it surprisingly easy to recognize once you know what to look for. The bright red, black, and white pattern underneath its wings is even more distinctive. <Cite refs={["turn124672search1","turn124672search11"]}/>
But here's the important part: not every unusual bug is an invasive pest, and identifying it correctly matters.
If you do discover a spotted lanternfly, however, there are good reasons to take it seriously. These insects feed on plant sap, can damage vulnerable plants, and may spread to new areas when people accidentally transport them or their egg masses.
So let's talk about what this insect looks like, why experts are concerned about it, and what you should do if you find one in your yard.
What Is the Spotted Lanternfly?
The spotted lanternfly (Lycorma delicatula) is a planthopper—not actually a fly, despite its name.
It originated in Asia and was first detected in the United States in Pennsylvania in 2014. Since then, it has spread to additional areas, prompting agricultural agencies and university extension services to monitor and manage its populations. <Cite refs={["turn124672search7","turn124672search11"]}/>
<AsyncImageGroup query={["adult spotted lanternfly gray forewings black spots resting on tree bark","spotted lanternfly adult wings open bright red black white hindwings","spotted lanternfly red black white nymph on green plant"]} aspectRatio="5:4" layout="bento" />
The adult insect is generally about an inch long, with gray forewings covered in black spots and darker, patterned wing tips.
When it opens its wings, the bright red, black, and white hindwings become visible.
That sudden flash of color is often what makes people stop and look twice.
And if you've never seen one before, the contrast can be startling.
How can you recognize it?
Look for these identifying features:

