3 overripe bananas, mashed
½ cup melted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1½ cups all-purpose flour
Optional add-ins:
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chocolate chips
Substitution notes:
No butter? Use oil. No sugar? Use honey.
Let's Make Banana Bread (Step-by-Step)
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
Step 2: Mix the Wet Ingredients
In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in the melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.
Step 3: Mix the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 4: Combine
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Step 5: Add Optional Add-ins
Fold in the walnuts or chocolate chips, if using.
Step 6: Bake
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 7: Cool and Serve
Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Tips for the Best Banana Bread
Use overripe bananas. They are sweeter and more flavorful.
Don't overmix. Overmixing can make it tough.
Use a good quality vanilla. It adds flavor.
Don't overbake. It can become dry.
Let it cool completely. Before slicing.
Store properly. It stays fresh for days.
Variations to Make It Your Own
With Nuts: Add chopped walnuts or pecans.
With Chocolate Chips: Add chocolate chips.
With Spices: Add cinnamon or nutmeg.
With Coconut: Add shredded coconut.
With a Glaze: Add a simple glaze.
With a Crumb Topping: Add a streusel topping.
What to Serve With Banana Bread
A cup of coffee or tea
A glass of milk
Butter
Cream cheese
How to Store and Reheat
Storage: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Reheat: Reheat in the toaster or microwave.
Freezer: It freezes well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen bananas?
Yes, thaw them first.
Can I use a different type of flour?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour.
Can I add nuts?
Yes, walnuts or pecans are a great addition.
How do I know when it's done?
A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
A Final Thought
When I make this banana bread, I feel like I'm making something special. It's a simple, delicious treat.
Have you ever made banana bread? Share your tips in the comments. 🍌🍞
