Seafood Salad (Fresh, Creamy, and Perfect for Any Occasion)


 


For the salad:

  • 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined

  • 1 lb imitation crab meat, flaked

  • 2 celery stalks, diced

  • ½ red onion, diced

  • ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped

For the dressing:

  • ½ cup mayonnaise

  • ¼ cup sour cream

  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

  • ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning

  • Salt and pepper to taste

Substitution notes:
No shrimp? Use more crab or lobster. No imitation crab? Use real crab meat.

Let's Make Seafood Salad (Step-by-Step)

Step 1: Prepare the Seafood

If using raw shrimp, cook and cool them. If using imitation crab, flake it into bite-sized pieces.

Step 2: Prepare the Vegetables

Dice the celery, dice the red onion, and chop the parsley.

Step 3: Make the Dressing

In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and pepper.

Step 4: Combine

In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, crab, celery, red onion, and parsley. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.

Step 5: Chill

Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

Step 6: Serve

Serve chilled.

Tips for the Best Seafood Salad

Use high-quality seafood. It makes a big difference.

Don't overmix. Gently fold the ingredients together.

Chill before serving. The flavors need time to meld.

Adjust the seasonings. Taste and adjust the seasonings.

Serve with crackers or bread. It's a great pairing.

Customize it. Add your favorite ingredients.

Variations to Make It Your Own

With Lobster: Add cooked lobster.

With Avocado: Add diced avocado.

With Capers: Add capers.

With Dill: Add fresh dill.

With Spice: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper.

With Pasta: Add cooked pasta.

What to Serve With Seafood Salad

  • Crackers

  • Bread

  • A green salad

  • Fresh fruit

How to Store and Reheat

Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Reheat: Not recommended.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use canned seafood?
Yes, but fresh is better.

Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, it's best made a few hours ahead.

Can I add different seafood?
Yes, add your favorite seafood.

Can I use a different dressing?
Yes, you can use a vinaigrette.

A Final Thought

When I make this seafood salad, I feel like I'm serving something special. It's a simple, elegant dish.

Have you ever made seafood salad? Share your tips in the comments. 🦐🥗