1 box white cake mix
1 (3.4 oz) box instant key lime pudding mix
1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 cup key lime juice
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons key lime juice
Substitution notes:
No key lime juice? Use regular lime juice. No sour cream? Use Greek yogurt.
Let's Make Key Lime Cake (Step-by-Step)
Step 1: Mix the Batter
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, and key lime juice. Mix until smooth.
Step 2: Prepare the Slow Cooker
Grease the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or butter.
Step 3: Pour the Batter
Pour the batter into the prepared slow cooker.
Step 4: Cook
Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Make the Glaze
In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and key lime juice.
Step 6: Glaze and Serve
Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Serve warm or cooled.
Tips for the Best Key Lime Cake
Use key lime juice. Key lime juice gives the best flavor.
Use a good quality cake mix. It makes a difference.
Don't overcook. Overcooking can make it dry.
Let it cool slightly. Before glazing.
Serve with whipped cream. It's a lovely addition.
Store properly. It stays fresh for days.
Variations to Make It Your Own
With Fresh Berries: Serve with fresh strawberries or raspberries.
With Whipped Cream: Top with whipped cream.
With a Different Citrus: Use lemon or orange.
With Coconut: Add shredded coconut.
With a Crumb Topping: Add a streusel topping.
With a Different Glaze: Use a different glaze.
What to Serve With Key Lime Cake
Fresh berries
Whipped cream
A cup of coffee or tea
A glass of milk
Lemonade
How to Store and Reheat
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or slow cooker.
Freezer: It freezes well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use regular lime juice?
Yes, key lime juice is best, but regular lime juice works.
Can I use a different type of cake mix?
Yes, a yellow cake mix works well.
Can I make it without the glaze?
Yes, it's still delicious.
How do I know when it's done?
A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, it's a great make-ahead dessert.
A Final Thought
When I make this key lime cake, I feel like I'm serving a taste of summer. It's the perfect dessert for any occasion.
Have you ever made key lime cake in the slow cooker? Share your tips in the comments. 🍋🍰
