Southern Chicken-Fried Steak with Gravy (Crispy, Tender, and Smothered in Rich Gravy)




Subtitle: This Southern classic is the ultimate comfort food—a tenderized steak, breaded and fried until golden and crispy, then smothered in a creamy, peppery gravy.

Let me tell you about the first time I had chicken-fried steak.

I was in my late twenties, and I was traveling through the South. I stopped at a small diner and ordered chicken-fried steak. I had no idea what it was. When it arrived, it was a breaded steak, smothered in gravy. I was confused, but I was intrigued.

I took a bite, and I was hooked. It was crispy, tender, and absolutely delicious.

Now I make it for family dinners and special occasions.

Why This Chicken-Fried Steak Is So Good

Crispy on the outside. The breading is perfectly golden and crispy.

Tender on the inside. The steak is tender and juicy.

Smothered in gravy. The creamy, peppery gravy is the perfect complement.

A Southern classic. It's a beloved Southern dish.

Comfort food. It's the ultimate comfort food.

A crowd-pleaser. Everyone loves it.

Ingredients