Southern Hoe Cakes (Crispy, Golden, and Full of History)



Subtitle: There is a very specific kind of magic that happens when a drop of bacon grease hits a screaming hot cast-iron skillet.

Let me tell you about the first time I made hoe cakes.

I was in my late twenties, and I was visiting a friend in the South. She made these little cornmeal pancakes for breakfast. They were crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and absolutely delicious.

I asked her for the recipe, and she gave it to me. I've been making them ever since.

What Are Hoe Cakes?

A Southern staple. They are a classic Southern dish.

A cornmeal pancake. They are a simple cornmeal pancake.

A simple dish. They are made with just a few ingredients.

A versatile dish. They can be served with a variety of toppings.

A historical dish. They have a rich history.

A comfort food. They are a comfort food.

The History of Hoe Cakes

The name. The name comes from the fact that they were cooked on the blade of a hoe.

A staple of the enslaved. They were a staple of the enslaved people in the South.

A simple dish. They were made with simple ingredients.

A versatile dish. They could be served with a variety of toppings.

A comfort food. They became a comfort food.

A tradition. They are a tradition.

Why These Hoe Cakes Are So Good