Subtitle: Let me tell you about the first time I noticed weird ripples in my jeans.
I was in my late twenties, and I had just washed my favorite, most comfortable pair of jeans. I pulled them out of the dryer, ready to fold them, and they were covered in strange, wavy ripples and deep, stubborn creases. I was disappointed. I didn't know what caused them, and I worried I had ruined a beloved staple of my wardrobe.
I did some research, and I learned that it is a very common problem. In fact, it is a natural quirk of the fabric itself. If you have ever pulled a pair of jeans from the laundry only to find them looking like a topographical map, please know that you are not alone, and your jeans are not ruined. Let's gently explore the science behind these ripples, what causes them, and the simple, resourceful ways you can prevent and fix them.
The "Fabric Science" Reality: Why Do Ripples Form?
1. Cotton Shrinkage
The effect. Cotton shrinks when washed.
The mechanism. The fibers tighten.
The result. The fabric becomes distorted.
The takeaway. Shrinkage is a natural process.
The solution. Wash in cold water.

