Subtitle: Oh, my dear friend, what a wonderfully observant question! If you've ever taken a peaceful walk through an orchard, a park, or even down a quiet country road and noticed tree trunks glowing with a fresh coat of white paint, you might have wondered what on earth it's for.
Let me tell you about the first time I noticed a white-painted tree.
I was in my late twenties, and I was taking a walk through a park. I noticed that some of the trees had white paint on their trunks. I was curious. I started to wonder why.
I did some research, and I learned about the practical reasons behind this practice.
The "Nature Science" Reality: Why Do We Paint Trees White?
The short answer is protection. Just like we put sunscreen on our skin or wear a warm coat in the winter, painting a tree trunk white is a gentle, time-honored way to protect it from a specific type of weather-related damage called sunscald (also known as "southwest injury").
The Science of Sunscald
The effect. Sunscald is a type of damage to the bark.
The cause. It's caused by extreme temperature fluctuations.
The mechanism. The sun warms the bark during the day, and then it freezes at night.
The result. The bark cracks and splits.
The takeaway. Sunscald can damage trees.
The solution. Painting the trunk white can help.

