The essentials:
1 lb ground breakfast sausage
16 oz cream cheese, cubed
1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes and green chiles (Rotel), undrained
Optional add-ins:
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
Fresh jalapeños (for heat)
Substitution notes:
No sausage? Use ground beef or turkey. No cream cheese? Use sour cream.
Let's Make Slow Cooker Sausage Dip (Step-by-Step)
Step 1: Cook the Sausage
In a skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned. Drain any excess fat.
Step 2: Combine in the Slow Cooker
Transfer the cooked sausage to a slow cooker. Add the cream cheese, diced tomatoes and green chiles, and any optional add-ins.
Step 3: Cook
Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, or on HIGH for 1-2 hours, until the cream cheese is melted and the dip is hot and bubbly.
Step 4: Stir
Stir the dip well before serving.
Step 5: Serve
Serve warm with tortilla chips, crackers, or vegetables.
Tips for the Best Slow Cooker Sausage Dip
Use a good quality sausage. It makes a difference.
Don't drain the tomatoes. The liquid adds flavor.
Stir occasionally. Stirring prevents burning.
Keep it warm. The slow cooker will keep it warm.
Customize it. Add your favorite spices or vegetables.
Serve with a variety of dippers. Chips, crackers, and vegetables.
Variations to Make It Your Own
With Cheese: Add shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack.
With Spice: Add jalapeños or hot sauce.
With Herbs: Add fresh herbs.
With Bacon: Add crumbled bacon.
With Vegetables: Add diced onions or bell peppers.
With Cream Cheese: Use a different type of cheese.
What to Serve With Slow Cooker Sausage Dip
Tortilla chips
Crackers
Bread
Vegetables
Pretzels
How to Store and Reheat
Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freezer: This dip freezes well.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a different type of meat?
Yes, ground beef or turkey works.
Can I make this in the microwave?
Yes, but the slow cooker is best.
Can I double the recipe?
Yes, use a larger slow cooker.
Can I use a different type of cheese?
Yes.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, it can be made ahead and reheated.
A Final Thought
When I make this slow cooker sausage dip, I feel like I'm serving a crowd-pleaser. It's the perfect appetizer for any gathering.
Have you ever made sausage dip? Share your tips in the comments. 🧀🌶️
