Subtitle: Picture this: It's a quiet morning, and you've just popped a slice of sourdough bread into the toaster. It emerges golden, warm, and fragrant. You reach for the butter, only to find a cold, unyielding brick straight from the refrigerator.
Let me tell you about the first time I left butter out on the counter.
I was in my late twenties, and I was visiting a friend's house. She had a butter dish on the counter with a stick of butter in it. I was surprised. I thought butter had to be refrigerated.
She explained that it was safe to leave butter out. I was skeptical, but I tried it. It was so much easier to spread.
The Short Answer
Yes, it is safe to leave butter on the counter. As long as you follow a few simple guidelines.
The reason. Butter is a dairy product, but it has a high fat content and low water content. This makes it less susceptible to bacterial growth.
The science. The high fat content and low water content create an environment that is not conducive to bacterial growth.
The result. You can leave butter out at room temperature for up to two weeks.
The benefit. It's soft and spreadable.
The caution. There are a few things to keep in mind.
The Guidelines
Use salted butter. Salt acts as a preservative.
Keep it covered. Keep it in a covered butter dish.
Keep it in a cool place. Keep it away from heat sources.
Use a clean knife. Don't double-dip.
Use it within two weeks. Use it within two weeks.
Don't leave it out in hot weather. It can melt and spoil.

