Subtitle: Ever bitten into something and thought, "Whoa, what is that salty, tangy little burst of flavor?" That, my friend, was probably a caper.
Let me tell you about the first time I had capers.
I was in my late twenties, and I was eating chicken piccata at an Italian restaurant. I kept getting these little pops of briny, almost lemony goodness. I had no clue what they were. Olives? Some weird kind of pea?
After asking the waiter, I finally figured it out. Capers. And from that moment, I was hooked.
What Are Capers?
A flower bud. Capers are the unopened flower buds of a shrub called Capparis spinosa.
A Mediterranean plant. The plant is native to the Mediterranean region.
A brined or pickled food. They are usually brined or pickled.
A flavor enhancer. They have a salty, tangy, and slightly lemony flavor.
A versatile ingredient. They can be used in a wide variety of dishes.
A culinary staple. They are a staple in Mediterranean cuisine.
The Different Types of Capers
Size. Capers are graded by size.
Small capers. Small capers (nonpareil) are the most prized.
Medium capers. Medium capers (surfines) are also good.
Large capers. Large capers (capotes) are less delicate.
The flavor. Smaller capers have a more delicate flavor.
The texture. Smaller capers have a firmer texture.
The price. Smaller capers are more expensive.

